Class Title: Accountant I
Reports to: Finance Director
Salary range: $41,279 to $55,845
General Purpose of the Job
Under limited supervision of the Finance Director the Accountant I will perform a wide variety of professional accounting, and fiscal duties such as establishing and maintaining accounting records, participating in budget control, reviewing and analyzing financial transaction records, and preparing financial statements and reports.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates project accounting for multiple departments of the City.
- Process annual local government debt reports and census surveys.
- Monitor employee fringe benefit and optional life liability.
- Maintain Capital Asset listing for ease of use during annual audit process.
- Balance all liability accounts on a monthly basis.
Perform reconciliation of general fund, special revenue funds, municipal court, investments and agency fund accounts in pooled cash system.
Prepare multiple tables and schedules for CAFR.
Update annual financial statement and operating data to EMMA.
- Assist Finance Director in the design and implementation of internal control systems, CAFR and budget preparation and other assignments.
- Assist the City Manager and department heads with accounting needs.
- Prepare and present various records/reports as needed in various forms, i.e. PowerPoints, spreadsheets, memorandums and etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Must be detail-oriented, organized and analytical with good writing, computer and auditing skills complemented by great customer service knowledge and skills.
- Ability to compile, analyze and evaluate data.
- Ability to maintain accurate and detailed accounting of financial records.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Skilled in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and use of standard office equipment.
Possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance Management or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Two (2) years’ progressively responsible professional experience managing financial activities to include the preparation of monthly bank reconciliations, financial analysis and/or audits.
- Demonstrable knowledge of GAAP and governmental accounting standards.
- Experience with State regulatory requirements in Accommodations, 1% Fireman Fund, Police Seizure and Forfeiture account laws preferred.
- Experience with Incode software a plus.
- Possession of a valid state issued driver’s license.
- Ability to be bonded.
- Pass a background check and drug screen.
Application: Available online at: http://cityofhardeeville.com/DocumentCenter/View/2449. Send application, references and resume to City of Hardeeville, Attn: Finance Director, PO Box 609, Hardeeville, SC 29927.
Deadline to apply: Open until filled
The City of Hardeeville is an EOE and an E-Verify user