Deputy Chief of Operations
Hardeeville Fire Department is accepting applications for the position of Deputy Chief of Operations
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must submit the following by Friday, October 30, 2020 at 5:00 EST: Application, Resume, Cover Letter, and Three professional references. The hiring salary range is $70,546 - $88,183.
The Deputy Chief reports directly to the Fire Chief. Major responsibilities of the Deputy Chief include independent action and strategic planning for programs in Fire Administration, Emergency Medical Services, Fire Suppression, Training, Apparatus and Equipment, Maintenance, Facilities Management, and Community Relations. This work requires effective interpersonal relationship skills, communication skills, extensive managerial knowledge, effective teamwork, and independent decision making. Work is performed under the most general supervision and is evaluated primarily on the basis of the results achieved.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages the Operations Division of the Fire Department.
- Supervises professional, technical, and uniformed employees.
- Directly supervises the Training Division of the department.
- Participates in the development and management of the department budget.
- Evaluates program effectiveness and develops strategies to provide continuous improvement.
- Participates in the development and implementation of the Department Strategic Plan.
- Participates in development of short-term, mid-term and long-term goals.
- Develops, recommends, and enforces Department rules, regulations, and procedures.
- Plans, organizes, and directs departmental functions.
- Writes difficult and complex administrative reports, correspondence, and internal memorandums.
- Makes oral and written presentations to citizen groups and elected officials.
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provides seamless customer service.
- Initiates and completes special programs as directed by the Fire Chief.
- Assists with the hiring of Department employees; recommends employees for discipline or promotion.
- Drafts resolutions, bulletins, and memos as needed by the Department.
- Ten (10) years of increasingly responsible experience in fire/rescue and emergency medical service operations
- Five (5) years of managerial experience as a Chief Officer
- South Carolina EMT license or the ability to obtain within one year of employment
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Fire Administration, Public Administration, Fire Science or related field, or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- 15 years of increasingly responsible experience in fire/rescue and emergency medical service operations
- South Carolina Paramedic license
All applicants must meet the following standards:
- Must be 18 years of age, possess a high school diploma or GED, and a valid driver’s license with no suspensions in the last 3 years
- Submit to employer’s drug and alcohol testing requirements.
- Out of state applicants MUST submit a 10-year driving record with their application
Click the following link to view the full PDF job description: Deputy Chief of Operations Job Description (PDF)
Applications can be obtained from Hardeeville Fire Department or
*Applications that are not filled out completely, will not be considered*
Applications must be submitted to:
City of Hardeeville
Attn: Fire Chief
P.O. Box 609
Hardeeville, SC 29927
All applicants considered for employment must submit to a background check and urinalysis screening for illegal drug use prior to offer of employment. The City of Hardeeville is an EOE and E-Verify user.