Do I Need a Permit

While building permits are not always needed for work, any contractor must have a current business license from the city to do work on any type of structure in the city.  Click here to read the PDF version.

The following is a listing of work that does not require a permit:

  • Painting, wallpapering, tiling, flooring and carpeting.
  • Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing, unless supporting surcharge (Planning/Zoning approval needed).
  • Installing cabinets and/or countertops, plumbing fixtures, or appliances.
  • Qualified accessory structure (with a floor area of less than 200 square feet AND that is not attached to the dwelling structure) (Planning/Zoning approval needed).
  • Home improvements that are defined as replacing rotted wood or any project necessary in the general maintenance of a single-family dwelling.
  • Roof gutters.
  • Fences not over 7 feet high (Planning/Zoning approval needed).
  • Flatwork including sidewalks, driveways, and patio slabs (Planning/Zoning approval needed).
  • Swings and playground equipment.

The following is a partial listing of work that does require a permit:

  • Roofing: Installing new shingles or other roofing materials.
  • Windows: Replacing Windows.
  • Siding: Vinyl, Wood, Hardie or Aluminum Siding or Trim Boards.
  • Framing: adding new interior walls or extending an existing wall, creating a new door or opening in an existing wall, gazebos, lanais, ”bird cage” enclosures, porches.
  • Any structural work (including adding, relocating, or removing interior load-bearing walls or windows).
  • Plumbing: replacing a sewer or water supply line, adding plumbing to a room that did not previously have it, and replacing water heaters.
  • Electrical: installing and/or replacing wiring, adding outlets, lights, and/or breakers, solar panels, disconnects and sub panels for hot tubs and other equipment, generators, and whole house surge protectors Mechanical: installing or replacing heating and air units or equipment; installing ductwork; installing ducted or ductless mini-splits.
  • Gas (propane or LP gas) – Installing or replacing gas lines for anything other than portable appliances.
  • Swimming Pools – Swimming Pools more than 24 inches deep, that exceeds 3,500- gallon capacity or units permanently attached to mechanical services.
  • Storage Buildings, Garages, Carports, and Decks over 200 square feet in floor area or any structure attached to the dwelling.
  • Fences over 7 feet in height, any type.